If want all of your holiday gifts to arrive by Christmas this year, you’d better finish your gift shopping soon. Check out the deadline information below for FedEx, UPS, and the U.S. Postal Service as well as details on Free Shipping Day and more.
And be sure to follow our tips for safely shipping holiday gifts and find out whether expedited shipping is worth the splurge.
For shipping within the U.S.:
• Dec. 14: Last day to ship via FedEx SmartPost
• Dec. 16: Last day to ship via FedEx Home Delivery and FedEx Ground
• Dec. 21: Last day to ship via FedEx Express Saver
• Dec. 22: Last day to ship via FedEx 2Day and FedEx 2Day A.M.
• Dec. 23: Last day to ship via FedEx Standard Overnight, FedEx Priority Overnight, and FedEx First Overnight
• Dec. 25: Last day to ship via FedEx SameDay
Shipping deadlines for packages headed to Puerto Rico and Canada, Mexico, and other international destinations vary. See FedEx’s Last Days to Ship site for more information.
For other holiday-related shipping information, check FedEx’s Holiday Shipping 2015 website.
For shipping within the U.S.:
• Dec. 17: Last day to ship UPS Ground
• Dec. 18: Last day to ship UPS 3 Day Select
• Dec. 22: Last day to ship via UPS 2nd Day Air
• Dec. 23: Last day to ship via UPS Next Day Air
• Dec. 24: Last day to ship via UPS Express Critical
For international shipping deadlines and other holiday-related information, go to: UPS Holiday Shipping site.
For more holiday shipping information, see: UPS’s 2015 year-end holiday service center.
U.S. Postal Service
For mail and package shipping within the U.S.:
• Dec. 15: Last day to send packages via standard parcel post
• Dec. 19: Last day to send packages via First Class Mail
• Dec. 21: Last day to send packages via Priority Mail
• Dec. 23: Last day to send packages via Priority Express Mail
The deadline for shipping packages internationally varies based on the destination. But in most cases, the deadlines are fast approaching—in some cases, as soon as Dec. 1!
Visit the U.S. Postal Service holiday site for more information about shipping to military troops serving overseas
Other Shipping Tips to Keep in Mind
If you’re planning to do some of your holiday shopping online, check retailers’ specific deadlines.
Amazon.com says that the cut-off date for ordering items with free shipping is Dec. 16. Orders for gifts to be shipped with standard shipping must be completed online by Dec. 18. The cut-off dates for ordering items to be shipped with two-day and one-day shipping are Dec. 22 and Dec. 23, respectively. Dec. 23 is the last day to order with same-day delivery for delivery by Dec. 25.
For more information, check out Key 2015 FBA Holiday Selling Dates.
You’ll find similar holiday shipping deadline information for these online retail sites.
Free Shipping Day and Free Two-Day Shipping
Dozens of merchants, from Bass Pro Shops to Wine.com, are participating in Free Shipping Day on Dec. 18, with offers of items that will purportedly arrive by Christmas Eve.
For other holiday shopping tips, visit Consumer Reports’ Holiday Gift Guide.
More Holiday Gift Ideas and Tips
Check Consumer Reports’ 2015 Holiday Gift Guide for our picks of the best gifts, details on the latest deals, time-saving tips, and much more. And see our countdown calendar for top gift ideas for everyone on your list.
Consumer Reports has no relationship with any advertisers on this website. Copyright © 2006-2015 Consumers Union of U.S.